GUID Generator is a simple program that generates globally unique identifiers (GUIDs) in 19 different formats. Generated identifiers can be copied to the clipboard or saved to a text file.
GUID Generator is a simple program that generates any number of GUIDs - Globally Unique Identifiers - that can be saved to a text file or copied to the clipboard.
The program is available in two versions: as windows GUI application (GuidGenW.exe) and console application (GuidGen.exe) that runs from the command line.
Both applications are standalone executables and do not require installation of any additional runtime libraries, frameworks, etc. Moreover, they are completely portable, do not use the Windows registry and do not change any system settings.
GUID is a 16 byte (128-bit) value usually presented as a sequence of hexadecimal numbers, divided by hyphens into five groups:
Group 1: 32 bits (4 bytes) Group 2: 16 bits (2 bytes) Group 3: 16 bits Group 4: 16 bits Group 5: 48 bits (6 bytes)
GUID is a 128-bit value, so there are 2128 (340 282 366 920 938 463 463 374 607 431 768 211 456) possible combinations.
The possibility of generate two identical GUIDs is so small that they are commonly used as identifiers of the various important resources: operating system objects (CLSID, IID), unique keys in database tables, disk partitions (GPT) and many more.
If you need a very strong password, GUID is a good candidate.
The most important features
- Generating GUIDs in 19 different formats.
- Ability to add your own prefix and suffix to generated identifiers.
- Possibility to copy generated GUIDs to the clipboard.
- Ability to save all or selected identifiers to a text file.
- Very simple and intuitive interface.
- The small size and high speed: generating 100 000 GUIDs on the 5-year old computer takes less than 0.5 seconds.
- Both versions (GUI and console) support a large number of parameters passed on the command line, which allows you to automate the program.
- The program comes with a detailed help file.
- Portability. All settings are stored with one INI file located in the application directory, so the program can be run from portable drives. The console version does not use any files.
How to uninstall?
End User License Agreement
Version 1.0 (2017.01.23)